With respect to Sanjay and Narasimha, I wish to answer your question as above, by reproducing Narasimha's tutorial on Drig dasa, which appeared on this list some months ago. In my case, the methods of dasa/antara calculation as given here, matched the times of both of my spiritual initiations from Srila Prabhupada. Pay special attention to dasas/antaras connected to the Mantra-pada (Arudha of the 5th house) when seeing the external formalities of initiation (diksha). Actual spiritual devotion (Raganuga-bhakti) should be seen from the 5th itself. Here is the tutorial:
DRIG DASA -- PURPOSE:
Drig dasa (Drig=vision) is excellent for understanding religious pursuits.
(1) Start dasas from 9th house.
(2) First dasa will belong to the 9th house and the next 3 dasas will belong to the 3 signs aspecting 9th. Order of reckoning is forward/backward based on whether the 9th house is odd-footed/even-footed (odd-footed signs: Ar, Ta, Ge; Li, Sc, Sg).
(3) Next set of 4 dasas will start from the 10th house and include the 3 signs aspecting it. Order of reckoning is forward/backward based on whether the 10th house is odd-footed/even-footed.
(4) Next set of 4 dasas will start from the 11th house and include the 3 signs aspecting it. Order of reckoning is forward/backward based on whether the 11th
house is odd-footed/even-footed.
(5) Dasa durations are found as in Narayana dasa (see archives or the recent Sudasa mail).
Note: Use rasi drishti (sign aspects). Movable signs aspect all fixed signs except the adjacent one. Fixed signs aspect all movable signs except the adjacent one. Dual signs aspect all other dual signs.
An example will make it clearer.
* * *
(1) If you are looking at someone whose chart holds promise for renunciation, Drig dasa of Arudha lagna brings it.
(2) Drig dasa of lagna is excellent for religious pursuits. It can bring a
good position also.
(3) Drig dasa of the sign containing mantra pada (Arudha pada of 5th) or its lord
can bring mantra/religious initiations.
(4) Drig dasas of the signs containing Rahu and Ketu are excellent for spiritual
* * *
Brendan Feeley shared his birth data on this list a couple months back:
13 March 1949, 12:30 or 12:32 am (GMT), 8w13, 53n20
His rasi chart: Rahu in Ar; Moon & Saturn in Le; Ketu in Li; Lagna & mantra pada
in Sc; Jupiter in Cp; Arudha lagna, Sun, Mars, Mercury & Venus in Aq.
(1) The 9th house is Cn. It starts dasas.
(2) Cn is an even-footed sign. Go backwards from Cn (as Cn, Ge, Ta, Ar, Pi etc) and pick the signs that aspect Cn. So the first 4 dasas are Cn, Ta, Aq and Sc.
(3) The 10th house is Le. It is an even-footed sign. Go backwards from Le (as Le, Cn, Ge, Ta, Ar, Pi etc) and pick the signs that aspect Le. So the next 4 dasas are Le, Ar, Cp and Li.
(4) The 11th house is Vi. It is an even-footed sign. Go backwards from Vi (as Vi, Le, Cn, Ge, Ta, Ar, Pi etc) and pick the signs that aspect Vi. So the next 4 dasas are Vi, Ge, Pi and Sg.
(5) You can find dasa durations as in Narayana dasa.
Dasa sequence for reference:
Cn: 11 yrs: 1949-1960
Ta: 9 years: 1960-1969
Aq: 6 years: 1969-1975
Sc: 3 years: 1975-1978
Le: 6 years: 1978-1984
Ar: 10 years: 1984-1994
Cp: 5 years: 1994-1999
Li: 4 years: 1999-2003
Aq has AL and many planets. Aq dasa might have brought philosophical thoughts and even thoughts of renunciation, though it came at a very young age (20-26).
Sc has lagna and mantra pada and see principles (2) and (3) above. Because of mantra pada, it brought religious initiation.
Le dasa has Saturn and Moon and it brought Radha Krishna bhakti (Saturn or Mercury with Moon shows Krishna).
Ar dasa from 1984 is good for religious pursuits because of Rahu (principle (4)).
Cp dasa has debilitated Jupiter. Nothing special.
Li dasa started in March 1999. Li has GL. It is the 12th from lagna. It has Ketu
(refer principle (4)). It also has kashta pada (Arudha pada of 8th). It is likely to create difficulties and obstacles in religious pursuit (kashta pada), BUT result in great spiritual progress (Ketu in 12th!!) despite those obstacles.
If one has Ketu in 12th, Drig dasa of the 12th will be an excellent dasa in spiritual pursuit. So your guru told you at the right time to become more active. Why don't you follow his advice?
GL shows outward activities and Ketu in 12th shows inward progress (the two are different). I guess both will be experienced in the next 3.5 years.
Antardasas go as in Narayana dasa (this is not Sanjay's explicit instruction, but my inference). In Li dasa, they go as Aq, Pi, Ar etc. Aries antardasa runs from Nov 1999 to March 2000. Aries has Rahu. So the next 4-5 months may be very good for spiritual sadhana. All the best!
WARNING: Drig dasa is a good dasa when used for spiritual and religious pursuits. But Vimsamsa and Vimsamsa Narayana dasa have a final say. Nevertheless the purpose here is to illustrate Drig dasa.
Robert A. Koch, Vedic Astrologer
760 NW Broken Arrow Rd.
Bend, OR. 97701-9037